The Sentinel in an electronic version
The Baltimore & Ohio Railroad Historical Society offers The Sentinel quarterly magazine in an electronic version (called eSentinel) which can be downloaded from one of the links below. To sign up for this optional way of receiving the magazine, members should send an email to the Membership Chair or by checking the appropriate block on their annual membership renewal form. Members have the option to receive our quarterly magazine, The Sentinel, by mail through the postal department, through digital download, or members can receive both methods of delivery for an additional fee of $10.00. If a member wishes to shift to digital media instead of hard copy, notify the Membership Chair, click here . This email must include a current email address, the member's name, the member's membership number, and the member's current mailing address. The email must also include the statement: "I am aware that by converting to an electronic version of The Sentinel magazine, I will be removed from the list of members receiving a hard copy through the mail." Allow up to 30 days for the conversion to take place. The member will be sent an email with log-in instructions. If a member desires to revert back to hard copy, notify the Membership Chair. See our Sentinel area for a discussion on the three methods of receiving our magazine.
- Must be member in good standing.
- Must be willing to give up receiving their hard copy of The Sentinel magazine for as long as the member is receiving the eSentinel. When once a member converts to receiving their magazine electronically, delivery of their hard copy by mail will stop. Members can receive either a hard copy by mail or an electronic version. Not both. If while receiving the electronic version of The Sentinel, the subscriber desires a hard copy as well of that same edition, the hard copy must be purchased through our Company Store if such edition is still available. Arrangements are not yet in place to permit purchase of single copies of the electronic version of The Sentinel.
- eSentinel users must assume the responsibility of backing up their copies of the eSentinel just as they would any other data element contained on their computer or tablet. When once the period for download has passed, especially after the next edition of the magazine becomes available, should the member lose or otherwise destroy their copy, a duplicate can no longer be downloaded "for free".
- Members signed up to receive electronic versions will be notified by email when the current copy has been posted on this web site. The email will contain a link to this page where the member must sign into a password secured area to begin the download. Therefore, it is importain that the member's current email address always be provided to the Membership Chair.
- Only the most recent edition of the eSentinel will be available for download. It is the member's responsibility to preserve this copy and maintain it in a secure location on their respective computer. This electronic version is Copyrighted by the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad Historical Society with All Rights Reserved. This electronic version cannot be copied and given to other members or associates, reproduced in any manner except for personal use, nor can it be sold. If a member desires a hard copy of this magazine in addition to the electronic version, one may be purchased through the Company Store link shown in the Navagation Bar at the top of this page.
- There are two electronic versions available for download. There is a low resolution version most suitable for viewing on a computer or tablet. The file size for this version ranges from approximately 3.5 megabytes to approximately 6 megabytes. There is also a high resolution version that approximates 30 to 50 megabytes in size. The primary difference is the quality of the photos. While both files contain photos that are suitable for normal viewing, the high resolution copy will permit the viewer to zoom in closer on the photographs and be able to see the most detail. eSentinel subscribers may download either size, or obtain a downloadable copy of both sizes if desired.
- Members may revert back to hard copy at a later date if desired. If a member reverts back to receiving The Sentinel by hard copy, back issues received while subscribing to the electronic version will not be provided for free but must be purchased through the Company Store.
- Mail the Membership Chair by clicking on this icon if you want to revert back. Specify your current email address, your member first and last name, your membership number, and your current mailing address to help speed the process.
Are you interested? You should try before you convert. Free download available
We have set up two links for you to test before you commit to subscribing to this service. We have taken a portion of a recent edition of The Sentinel and made it available for download without obligation by you. The hard copy Sentinel is 36 pages. These sample copies equate to 6 pages of the normal publication. One link has the low resolution version; the other link the high resolution version. You can download either copy, or both, to help you decide. Thus, you can compare the printed copy received through the mail with the downloaded copy of the eSentinel.
To download the lower resolution sample copy, click on this link.
To download the larger, high resolution sample copy, click on this link
Protect your downloaded copy
The eSentinel copy will be available for downloaded for a limited time following release. Insure that you perform your download in a timely manner upon notification that the new edition is available. When once the download has been removed from this web site, additional copies will need to be purchased through our Company Store just as is required for members receiving hard copies through the mail.
eSentinel download area
The 2nd Quarter 2013 edition of the eSentinel has been loaded.
The 1st Quarter 2013 edition of the eSentinel is no longer available for download.
Have your user name and password ready to input when asked. Your user name and password should have been provided you soon after you have requested this service. It may take up to 15 days for your activation. For membership questions, the Membership Chair. For password questions, including a reset of your original password, the Webmaster.
Subscribers, when notified, download your lower resolution copy here.
Subscribers, when notified, download your high resolution copy here. Be aware that this high resolution copy will take considerably longer to download and is most suitable for subscribers who have a high bandwidth broadband internet connection.
A PDF viewer like Adobe Acrobat Reader is required to view the electronic version of The Sentinel. A free version is available by selecting this Adobe Link.
This page was last modified on: